
by Annika
I still remember so well how my older sister and I were running around on the streets with all our friends. That was great ! As a child you don’t worry about whether something is dangerous or not.
I can still hear the voices of all mothers calling behind their children to watch out! But as I said,as a child one does not worry. All the children were always laughing; we had lots of fun.
And if one had flown and was filthy, they only thought: Do not worry, Mom has a waching machine!
In winter, all the kids put on snowsuits, grabbed shovels, and jumped around out in the snow, collecting snowflakes and sliding down from those large snowy mountains. At the end of our city, we have a little hill. We always walked to it. Mostly I put myself back on the sled, and my sister had to drag me. She was older and stronger, and I was still so small.
Then in spring, we slowly took out our shovels to play in the sand. We had a first class sandpit in the garden, all the children went there. Then we built sand castles and baked cakes out of sand. But of course we didn’t eat them.
In my town there is a beautiful lake and in summer you can find every single child there, all together with their parents to bathe. Everyone had an air mattress, and if not, we shared.
And the autumn was always the nicest time of year. It was very warm outside, but not too hot. All the children were on bicycles or skates on the streets.
One thing I remember is how my older sister and I always ran to the church to collect chestnuts. The one who found the biggest was the winner. After that we walked home, to make chestnuts dudes with mom. This was always a lot of fun. We placed the small dudes on the window sill or gave them to our neighbors as gifts.
In the fall, we also flew kites, but for some reason it didn’t work for me. I was probably too small and too weak to hold such a huge kite. But it was great to watch my sister as she has steered the kite on a string. That was enormous fun.
Altogether, I had a great childhood.
1 comment:
Annika, I love that you tell us about your life in Germany. The four seasons are clear in your writing. Nicely done.
Post a Comment