Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Thanksgiving


When I think about Thanksgiving an automatic feeling of warmth comes over my body. The thought of sitting around the table with all of my family, with the smell of all kinds of delicious foods in the air, puts me in a comfortable spot. As soon as I see the leaves turning various shades of reds and oranges I know one of my favorite holidays is right around the corner.

The night before Thanksgiving, it's nothing but chaos at my house. Other than Christmas, this is the only time my family works together in the kitchen. It's always refreshing. Falling asleep to the smell of warm apple pie fills me with anticipation of the next day, a day that only comes once a year.

I wake up to the sound of my mom working hard in the kicthen, and right away I'm put to work getting the house ready for family to arrive. As soon as they arrive any bit of stress is relieved and nothing but laughter and casual talk fills the air. Plates clatter, stories are told, never a sad moment except when we take a minute to remember the family that would have given anything to be there with us.

After everyone leaves, its back to the kitchen for a late night of cleaning, but honestly it's worth every minute of it.

1 comment:

Ms. Underwood said...

Shannah, one line stands out for me: plates clatter. SO telling... SO thanksgiving. I love that you work with your family in the kitchen. Thanksgiving is the MEAL... and it's the FAMILY, the togetherness. Nice job!